Expansion Beyond Print Strengthens Relationships with Hyper-Passionate Jewelry and DIY Maker Audiences
WAUKESHA, WI/NEW YORK, N.Y. (October 30, 2018) –Kalmbach Media, the content creator of such well-known and respected media brands as Astronomy, Discover, FineScale Modeler, Scale Auto, Model Railroader, and Trains, is celebrating 25 years of its Bead&Button brand with a number of new initiatives that secure B&B’s place as the leading brand for jewelry-making enthusiasts.
Bead&Button was originally launched 25 years ago as a magazine that spotted the burgeoning interest in beading and quickly connected with a passionate, creative audience. The brand has grown along with the DIY jewelry market, one of the hottest categories of the $45 billion craft industry. Bead&Button now encompasses a robust digital destination, videos, e-commerce, books, a subscription box program, and the world’s largest consumer show of its kind.
“It’s amazing how far the brand has grown its relationships with our hyper-enthusiast audience and expanded beyond its magazine roots since it was founded,” said Diane Bacha, editorial director. “The growth of Bead&Button goes hand-in-hand with the amazing growth we’ve seen in products, techniques, and audiences.”
Since its founding in 1993, the Bead&Button brand has evolved beyond a bi-monthly magazine to include today:
- The Facet Jewelry Box, a new monthly subscription box. Subscribers can choose to receive two bead-stitching projects or two bead-stringing boxes each month, complete with all the materials and instructions they need to make beautiful jewelry;
- The Bead&Button Show, the world’s largest consumer show of its kind. The event, held each June in Milwaukee, draws a global audience of more than 11,000 and offers more than 600 classes, competitions, and exhibits for metal, bead, and glass jewelry makers. Since its launch in 2000, the Bead&Button Show has reached a total audience of over 250,000 jewelry makers and enthusiasts;
- Creative Connections, a new series of “boutique” jewelry-making retreats, the first of which was held in October in Asheville, NC;
- JewelryAndBeadingStore.com, an online store where jewelry makers can purchase more than 2,000 tutorials, digital editions, books, videos, tools and more;
- A line of jewelry-making books that has developed an industry-leading reputation for inspiring jewelry makers with beautifully designed projects and easy-to-follow instructions;
- FacetJewelry.com, one of the industry’s largest consumer websites offering free tutorials and information covering a wide range of jewelry-making techniques.
Bead&Button magazine is marking its Silver Anniversary with a special issue currently available on newsstands. The issue kicks off a year of celebration that will include special jewelry projects from top designers (many of them in silver tones); a limited-edition silver bead-clasp for sale at JewelryAndBeadingStore.com; and anniversary sweepstakes valued at over $2,000.
Kalmbach Media is a leading independent media company that provides ideas and inspiration to avid hobbyists, enthusiasts and citizen scientists through its multichannel brands including Astronomy, Discover, Bead&Button, FineScale Modeler, Garden Railways, Scale Auto, Classic Toy Trains, Model Railroader, Model Railroader Video Plus, Trains, Classic Trains, and American Snowmobiler.
Kalmbach’s digital media websites and extensions across the Kalmbach portfolio of brands reach more than 35 million consumers on 18 sites, including the e-commerce sites My Science Shop, Kalmbach Hobby Store and the Jewelry & Beading Store. Kalmbach is also a leading producer of conferences and experiential events for the hobbyist and enthusiast marketplace including the recently held International Train Expo; the Bead & Button Show, which draws over 11,000 participants from across the country; and, the Craft Beer Festival among others.
Patrick Taylor, 59Media, 917-653-4785 | Patricktaylor0103@gmail.com
Lindsey Von Busch, 732-284-9089 | Lindsey.email@example.com