I have a book idea!
Then please talk to us; we are always looking for great new books. We focus on “how-to” books with step-by-step photography showing the easiest way to complete a project or improve a skill or technique.
Our specialties are:
- Beading (stitching and stringing)
- And many other forms of jewelry making
- Model railroading
- Scale modeling (auto and military)
- Toy trains (building and operating layouts as well as collectible toy trains)
- Garden railroading
- Train tourism
The best way to get a feeling for the kind of books we publish is to look at some of our titles in hobby, beading, and craft stores or at a good bookstore near you. Browse our online catalogs (from the links below) to learn if your idea fits well with our published titles, or call or e-mail us to discuss your idea in more detail.
How do I start?
It’s a good idea to find out if we’re interested in your subject before you go to the trouble of writing a proposal. We recommend sending a query letter addressing most or all of the following points.
- What is your book project about, and why will potential readers be interested?
- Who is the intended audience, and what is its skill level?
- How many projects or chapters do you envision?
- Can you give us some idea about competing book titles?
- Do you have anything special or different about how you’ll organize and present the information?
- Who will do the photography and illustration?
- Can you tell us a little bit about your expertise in the subject and your ability to write and package the information in a book?
We also need to know if you have already or are concurrently submitting your book idea to other publishers. We are generally able to give you an indication of our interest in your book project within a couple weeks.
Where should I send my proposal?
Send your queries for a book proposal to email@example.com. You may also send it via postal mail to:
21027 Crossroads Circle
PO Box 1612
Waukesha, WI 53187-1612
Or, submit a question via our online contact form.