KALMBACH UNVEILS NEW BRANDING REFLECTING MULTI-CHANNEL PRODUCT OFFERINGS
Company Deepens Growth in E-commerce, Digital Video, Consumer Events and Digital Media
WAUKESHA, WI/NEW YORK, N.Y. – Kalmbach (Kalmbach), the content creator of such well-known and respected media brands as Discover, Astronomy, and Model Railroader among others, today announced its new branding as Kalmbach Media, reflecting the company’s rapid transformation into a provider of high-quality media and related services for modern enthusiast audiences.
“Over the past few years we have undergone an incredible re-invention of both Kalmbach and our award-winning brands,” says Dan Hickey, CEO, Kalmbach Media. “This transformation has been driven by audiences, both new and existing, and their desire to experience passion for our brands in new and exciting ways.”
Among the new experiences introduced:
- E-commerce store extensions serving enthusiast audiences including MyScienceShop.com; KalmbachHobbyStore.com; and JewelryandBeadingStore.com. These stores have introduced over xxx SKUs of new, custom-manufactured and third-party curated products resulting in a forty-five percent increase in revenue sales;
- Subscription Digital video services such as the Model Railroader Video Plus (MRVP) website, which offers a catalog of more than 1,200 videos serving both the casual and experienced model railroader with an amazing array of content including everything from techniques to detailed instructions. In addition, MRVP, which has over 12,000 paid subscribers, provides users with travel ideas and inspiration to experience their passion for railroading;
- Experiential events including the week-long Bead & Button Show, which draws over 11,000 attendees from across the country. Considered the premier event for “modern makers” passionate about creating jewelry from crystals, gemstones, beads, metal and other materials, the Bead & Button Show will expand in 2018 to features onsite classes from visionary instructors, “Project Runway” style jewelry competitions, and one of the world’s largest Expo centers;
- Craft Beer Festival, a half-day event recently held in Minneapolis, where more than 4,500 attendees sampled the wares of over 100 brewers and 400 beers. Now in its third year, admission to the Craft Beer Festival is $49.99, and part of the proceeds benefit the Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity;
- Content Box Subscription services, including the monthly Facet Jewelry Box. Curated by the Kalmbach content team, each box is filled with all the supplies needed to complete multiple DIY jewelry projects. Launched in February, the $23 per month subscription offering has already generated over 5,000 subscribers; and,
- Digital Media websites and extensions across the Kalmbach portfolio of brands which reach more than 35 million consumers on 18 sites. New and expanded sites have witnessed double-digit growth in the past year and now reach over 4.6 million monthly UVs across the Kalmbach digital media group.
“Enthusiasm and excitement for our brands has never been greater, and that passion is creating greater engagement with our content, as well as new revenue streams from those audiences,” says Hickey. “But in today’s consumer-driven experience economy, audiences, especially Millennials, expect brands to deliver more than just content. They are drawn to brands that deepen their connection and knowledge for their passions and interests.”
“Whether it’s design enthusiasts personalizing their passion by creating jewelry that reflects their own style, or science and technology enthusiasts who want to share their passion for discovery with their children, we believe that we have an incredible opportunity to grow our brands beyond their traditional formats,” says Hickey.
In addition to new brand platforms, Kalmbach is expanding its reach in science with a new partnership program with Nautilus. The partnership offers institutional, educational and corporate brands the comprehensive reach of the Astronomy, Discover and Nautilus brands. Their combined magazines, web sites, email newsletters, and social platforms reach more than 10 million science enthusiasts each month.
“We will continue to explore and develop innovative ways to reach and grow our consumer audiences,” says Hickey. “We always remind ourselves that at the center of all of our brands is the constant desire to explore innovative ideas and challenge yourself to think differently.”
Kalmbach Media is a leading independent media company that provides ideas and inspiration to avid hobbyists, enthusiasts and citizen scientists through its multichannel brands including: Astronomy, Discover, Bead&Button, FineScale Modeler, Scale Auto, Classic Toy Trains, Model Railroader, Model Railroader Video Plus, Trains, Classic Trains, and American Snowmobiler.